10.27.2009

Sometimes you gotta fit in to get in

After a few weeks in New York, I realize that this place doesn’t just open its doors and show you to a seat with your name on it. Instead it's like a giant puzzle with millions of interlocking pieces. The puzzle spreads for miles and has been worked and reworked for hundreds of years. When a new piece comes along, it finds an edge and tries to cling-on for dear life. But the first edge tried is never the right fit. Most people quickly move their pieces and keep trying new edges until they find the right one.

My whole life I’ve been called stubborn and impatient. Which is why I don’t do puzzles.

I’m the newcomer who would rather force his piece to fit. I shift and shove, smashing the tabs until the piece is almost unrecognizable in my attempt to make it fit.

I expect that New York will change me as I relentlessly wiggle my piece into the puzzle. I’ll be a different person when I finally feel that it fits – hopefully the struggle will make me harder, stronger and wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment