11.22.2009

Testing, testing, N, Y, C

New York is a test not coming easily for me. Sometimes I feel like I don’t actually know anything or anyone here yet. There is so much to learn. Where does one begin?

I arrived in New York with an idea of what I want to become here – a grad student and career opportunist. I walked off the plane with my focus too narrowly set, and skipped over some important lessons. I know the local library better than my neighborhood pub. My work lunches are spent hitting the books, instead of the streets. I began studying GMAT test workbooks, when I still need to be studying maps of Manhattan.

I’m in a hurry to flourish with my New York career and education (and willing to put in the work), but risk failing at life because I’m taking shortcuts in making this my home first. Starting tomorrow, I’m lifting my head out of the books long enough to take a good look around and discover why I should want a career and education in this great city.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have an open mind and accept the diversity that NY has to offer.

    ReplyDelete